Tuesday, September 18, 2012

$1 White Boy Samosas

I realized the other day that almost every recipe I try invovles chicken in some way, so I decided to try to break out of that for a little while. Plus, I have a bunch of veggies and ground beef in my kitchen just waiting to be used! When I was in New Orleans last summer, one of the other summer missionary girls I worked with had gone to India the summer before and introduced me and the girls at the camp we were putting on to samosas. I figured I would do some research and give it a try. But, boy, did those recipes call for tons of spices! Not only did I not have half of them, but I was also afraid of what those spices would do to my very White-palated husband. So I took some and left out some ingredients to create these samosas for about $1 for the whole batch.

Ingredients:

Dough:
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
7 tbsp. water

Filling:
1 1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 large Russet potato
1 large carrot
1/2 cup of peas
1 large clove of garlic, diced
1 tsp. ground coriander seeds
2 tsps. minced ginger
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. salt

How did this cost $1? Well, the I got a 10 lb. bag of potatoes for .99, carrots for .33/lb., two bulbs of garlic for $1, the peas I got for .99 for a 16 oz. frozen bag and used very little. The rest I have around for all kinds of recipes and got for pennies when you consider what you use for the meal. And this recipe makes 16 samosas! We had enough for the both of us tonight and for leftovers for lunch the next couple of days. I call that a deal :)

Anywho, directions:

Start by sifting together the flour and salt for the dough. Pour in the vegetable oil and mix as well as possible. Next, add the water and mix the dough until it sticks together. Place the dough on a floured surface, cover, and let rest while making the filling.
Peel the potato and carrot and boil in water until just tender. Pull out, and chop into about 1/2 inch pieces. Pour 1/2 cup of the vegetable oil into a pan and heat the oil on medium heat. First, add the coriander seeds and ginger and sautee for about 5 minutes before adding the garlic. Once the garlic starts turning a golden color, add potatoes. Cook the potatoes for about 5 minutes before adding the carrots and peas. Sautee these for an additional 5 minutes. Once cooked, spoon the mixture into a bowl to cool and toss with the lemon juice.

 
 
Go back to the dough and knead for about 1 minute. Break the dough into 16 equal balls. Roll out each ball into about 5 inch circles and stick a spoonful of the filler in the center.
 
 
 
Pull one side of the dough over and seal it to the other with water, pinching and turning up the edges as you go.

 


Pour the oil you used to sautee the veggies and the additional oil into a pot and heat at medium. I was able to place about 4 samosas in the pot at a time. Flip after about 3 minutes and cook until golden brown all over. Pull out and place on a paper towel. Let cool, and feast!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment