Friday, September 14, 2012

Cracker Fried Chicken

Last night, I was needing some comfort food and was trying to find a way to use the last of my frozen chicken drumsticks. So, I did a very bad thing... I decided to learn how to make fried chicken! Why is that so bad? Because it turned out soooo good that I think I'm going to have to make it over and over again, and fried chicken probably (definitely) not the healthiest meal in the world. Again, I needed some comfort food.
So a really cool thing about this recipe is that you don't have to have a lot of special ingredients. I had a sleeve of saltines left in my pantry from forever ago when I was sick and finally got to use them up! Here's how to make this fried chicken:

Ingredients:
6 Chicken Drumsticks (I pulled the skin off before cooking)
1 sleeve of Saltine Crackers
1 cup all-purpose Flour
1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/4 cup Milk
2 Eggs
1 1/2 tsps. Pepper
1 tsp. Salt
Vegetable Oil

After taking the skin off the drumsticks, sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Crush the crackers into small crumbs and combine with flour, baking powder, and remaining salt and pepper. Next, whisk together the milk and eggs. Pour the oil in a pan so that fills up the pan about 1/2 inch and start heating the oil at slightly over medium heat. Take a drumstick and cover it in the flour mixture, dunk the drumstick in the egg mixture, and then back into the flour mixture.

Take the drumstick and place it in the hot oil, repeat. Leave the chicken on one side for about five minutes or until it starts getting golden brown, then flip and let cook another five minutes. In order to cook more thoroughly, continue flipping them over until they have cooked for 15-20 minutes.


(I had a problem with pulling out my first two drumsticks too soon and they weren't cooked all the way through, so be sure to check the center.) If your drumsticks start to burn while cooking, turn down the heat so they can cook more slowly.

 
 
I believe this is one of my new favorite recipes because it was very straightforward and had delicious results. I hope you enjoy trying this one and bringing out your inner Southern woman!

No comments:

Post a Comment