Saturday, September 8, 2012

Sometimes Bread is a 4-Letter Word :(

Everybody has their limitations, I know this. But I really, really, really don't like to admit it! One of my major limitations is making homemade bread, especially bread requiring yeast. The sadness of this fact is compounded by my husband adoring good homemade bread. So I try and try and try new recipes and have come to the conclusion that the common factor in these disasters is yours truly. A couple of weeks ago I let myself be convinced that it was just the yeast, even though a couple recipes I had tried didn't call for yeast.
So today at Wally World, I picked up some new yeast, tossed it in warm water, and saw for the first time what it meant for yeast to froth! I decided it was time to take a second stab at a delicious sounding Pinterest recipe that had failed in the past due to inactive yeast. Sam and I had some friends over for dinner tonight (shout out to the Murphys!), so it was a perfect time to try. And fail. Again. But not so horrendously as the first time, but I guarantee they did not turn out as beautifully as the picutre promised. Here's the recipe for Texas Roadhouse style rolls from the blog eatcakefordinner.blogspot.com:

4 tsp. active dry yeast

1/2 c. warm water

2 c. milk, scalded and cooled to lukewarm

3 Tbl. of melted butter, slightly cooled

1/2 c. sugar

2 quarts all purpose flour (7-8 cups)

2 whole eggs

2 tsp. salt



Dissolve yeast in warm water with a teaspoon of sugar; let stand until frothy. Combine yeast mixture, milk, 1/2 cup sugar and enough flour to make a medium batter (about the consistency of pancake batter). Beat thoroughly. Add melted butter, eggs and salt. Beat well. Add enough flour to form a soft dough. Sprinkle a small amount of flour onto counter and let dough rest. Meanwhile, grease a large bowl. Knead dough until smooth and satiny and put in greased bowl; turn over to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double in bulk. Punch down. Turn out onto a floured board. Divide into portions for shaping; let rest 10 minutes. Shape dough into desired forms. Place on greased baking sheets. Let rise until doubled.

Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Baste immediately with butter. Yield: 5 to 6 dozen. Serve with Cinnamon Honey Butter
 
 
I halved the recipe but double checked to make sure that all my ingredients were measured correctly. So what do you say? What am I doing wrong? Any advice for this poor girl? Ok, I'll stop begging now, but feel free to help a sister out! However, I have to admit that the Cinnamon Honey Butter was super delicious, especially considering how easy it was to make!

1 comment:

  1. The only thing I can think of, as far as the yeast goes, is the warm water is the key. You can't have it too hot or too cold other wise it never turns out right.

    ReplyDelete