Monday, September 17, 2012

Mexican Night

Last night Sam and I had our friends, Adam and Janessa, over for some Mexican-style themed dinner. 80 count Guerrero white corn tortillas were on sale this weekend for $1.99 and I got avacadoes for .25 a piece, so it was a good time to try and make some guacamole! I actually got the avacadoes a week ago and stuck them in the fridge, so I was worried I would have to run to the store to get new ones if they had gone bad. Oddly enough, 2 of the 4 acvetually had not ripened yet. Hard as rocks, which I only found out after I tried mixing them with the good avacado. So, needless to say, no guacamole for us last night. But Tapatio and some Riverwalk Salsa were good substitutes :) Last night, I decided to try out my Green Southwest Chicken Casserole once again and wanted to make homemade corn tortilla chips for the first time.

White Corn Tortilla Chips

Ingredients:
10-20 small white corn tortillas (depending on how many you are serving)
1.5 cups vegetable oil
Salt to tast

Ok, so this was super easy. Pour the oil into a pan and heat it at a little over medium. Once you start seeing lines in the oil, it is getting hot. Cut the tortillas into quarters and put in the pan. We put about 4 in at a time. Leave in until golden brown, to taste. Cool on a paper towel and add salt (or cinnamon and sugar... but that's for another time). See, simple! Shoutout to Adam who whipped out most of these!



Green Southwest Chicken Casserole
This is a recipe I put together while trying to figure out what to do with the stuff in my fridge. I didn't have the right stuff for classic enchiladas, but this turned out pretty darn tasty!

Ingredients:
 9 white corn tortillas
1 lb baked, shreaded chicken breast
1 avacado
1 can green enchilada sauce
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Vegetable oil

I fried the tortillas in the same oil that I was using to make the chips and made them quite a bit lighter than you would chips. Next, combine the shredded chicken, sour cream, and massed avacado. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with canola oil and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place 3 fried torillas on the bottom of the dish, breaking one in half to cover the sides. Spread 1/3 of the enchilada sauce over the tortillas and cover with 1/2 of the chicken mixture. Add another layer of tortillas, enchilada sauce, and chicken mixture. Top it off with the last layer of tortillas and enchilada sauce. Add the cheese to the top.

Stick the casserole in the oven for about 15 minutes or until warm all the way through and the cheese has melted. It don't look purty, but it tastes purty!

No comments:

Post a Comment