Saturday, September 1, 2012

Late Night Snack


Ok, so when I wrote that there would be a few laughs along the way, I didn't expect one to come so quickly! I like to think of myself as a pretty good cook, but I know that I am a pretty bad baker. And what do I do when I know I am bad at something? Do it over and over again until I get pretty good at it! Breads especially have been difficult for me.
So the other night when the hubby was on the phone, I decided to hop on Pinterest. I quickly found a very simple, basic recipe for Cinnamon Sugar Bread, and I had all the ingredients! I hopped up to go make it and had it in the oven in five minutes flat. Easy, peasy thought I! 45 minutes later, a beautiful bread pan of deliciousness came out of the oven and I was pretty proud of myself (as was my drooling husband). We cut great big pieces for ourselves and started getting in bed to watch some Felicity, our new favorite series.
That's when it happened. I bit into the thick slice and immediately felt something was off. The texture was way too dense and spongy. And the taste! Something was sour about it. I look over at Sam and he is chomping away. Did I just get a bad bite? I took another and spit it out! I asked Sam what he thought about the taste. He said it wasn't bad, but it tasted a lot like baking soda. Well, of course, I thought. I put a tablespoon of baking soda in just like the recipe . . . Oh, wait. I jumped out of bed, went to look at the recipe, and to my extreme amusement (and not so slight frustration) saw that the recipe called for 1 tablespoon of baking powder. Into the trash with the loaf!
Anywho, I still think the recipe would have been delicious if I hadn't tried to spruce it up with a heaping spoon of baking soda, so here it is, courtesy of "A Whisk and A Prayer."

Ingredients

(1) 1/3 cup white sugar

2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup white sugar

1 egg, beaten

1 cup milk

1/3 cup vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
In large bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt and 1 cup sugar. Add egg, milk, and oil to flour mixture.
Stir until just moistened.
Pour half of the batter into pan.
Sprinkle with cinnamon and 1/3 cup sugar (you can mix together cinnamon and sugar before hand, I didn't though I just sprinkled away).
Cover with remaining batter.
Top with more cinnamon/sugar if desired.
Bake in preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment